Sports Funding 2018-2019
The Government is providing additional funding to support the delivery of PE and sport in primary schools by providing dedicated resource to buy in valuable expertise and support.
Please see the updated Sports Funding report for this academic year.
Football– This year our Year 6 football team played in the Wokingham District Autumn and Spring leagues. They came joint top in the Autumn league, and were placed into division 2 in the Spring league. They competed well in this league drawing 2 out of the 3 matches they played. They also entered the Berkshire County cup, playing excellent football and narrowly losing out on a place in the quarter finals by one goal.
The Year 5 football played in the Year 5 and 6 Development Cup tournament held at the Madjeski Academy pitches, where they reached the quarter finals winning their pool and won the bowl competition in a Year 5 tournament held at Luckley House.
Netball– The Year 5 netball team took part in a tournament at Luckley House School in November, they came fourth overall and were very pleased with the result. Two Year 5 and 6 teams took part in a netball festival held at Reddam School in February. We have also played friendly matches against a few other schools throughout the year to prepare the netball teams for the tournaments.
Cross Country – Since September 2015, we have been competing in the Thames Valley running league cross country events in division 2. Since starting, the club has grown in numbers and we are starting to place in the top 10. We have had great success with our Years 5 and 6 and Years 3 and 4 boys’ teams.
· Years 3 and 4 girls came 9th out of 11 schools
· Years 3 and 4 boys came 6th out of 14 schools
· Years 5 and 6 girls came 6th out of 12 schools
· Years 5 and 6 boys came 15th out of 15 schools
We came 10th overall out of 19 schools this year.
Athletics – Throughout the year, we have competed in Wokingham indoor athletic competitions for Years 3/4 and 5/6. We will also be competing in the Wokingham & District Primary Schools Athletic Association Annual Sports Day to be held in June 2018
Intra-house -The higher focus on children’s physical development has led to a return to using our house system for intra‐schools competitions. We have completed a ball skills, indoor athletics and gymnastics intra-house competition this academic year. We are currently organising sports day and a swimming gala.
Fund raising – A GB athlete came into to inspire our children to focus and have determination towards a dream/goal. The children took part in a fitness circuit and listened to an inspiring assembly. We raised money for PE equipment towards the school.
In all competitions (regardless of the level of success) and in curriculum PE, our children have built great determination and perseverance – important learning behaviours that transfer into the classroom. Our new PE curriculum (Real PE and Real Gym) focuses on team building, developing the skills to support others, taking responsibility for their own goals and achievements, and a big ethos of perseverance and challenge.
Invaluable Parental Support
Our Parents’ Association have funded the Keep Hatch sports kits so that, when our children take part in competitions, they feel a pride in not only representing their school but also in their appearance as “sports people”.
- Parents volunteer to transport their children to sporting events; without this support we would have to limit the number of events in which we competed as costs could be prohibitive, and we would have less funding available for specialist teaching and/or CPD
- One of our parents is a basketball coach: he runs a weekly lunchtime club
- The Parents’ Association contributes some funding towards maintaining a safe and attractive swimming pool area
The Swimming Pool
Due to our commitment to provide a full range of sporting activities at Keep Hatch, all year groups have access to the swimming pool as part of curriculum PE during the second half of the summer term. Appropriate training for staff is part of our annual CPD programme.
The pool is used, also, for community activities:
- The Parents’ Association organise after school and holiday swimming
- The local cub scout group uses it in July
Our Next Steps
- CPD (continuing professional development) for Keep Hatch staff
- The subject leaders for PE are exploring possible providers of appropriate CPD