The Puffins and Sparrows are having a wonderful Christmas time. We started our topic by looking at different versions of the Nativity story and then writing our very own version. The children have also been learning to add baubles on a Christmas tree, put numbers in order, decorate baubles, make stables, write Christmas cards, be a good audience for the KS1 play, make Christmas cakes and lots more!
In the shared area, the Stable has opened where children have enjoyed dressing as the characters and acting out the Nativity story. Meanwhile in Santa’s Sitting Room, the children have had the opportunity to take on the role of an elf, Rudolph or even Santa himself. It has been a lot of fun watching the children make and wrap the toys in the Elf Workshop and then help Santa deliver the presents to children who are fast asleep in their beds.
The Foundation Stage Team wish you all a very Happy Christmas and look forward to seeing you in the New Year.
The Puffins and Sparrows have also enjoyed some Christmas baking. Why not try one of our easy recipes at home?
Christmas Biscuits Recipe
(Makes 15 biscuits)
162.5 g plain flour
100g chilled salted butter
62.5g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Sieve the flour into a bowl.
2. Put butter into the bowl and use fingers until it looks like breadcrumbs.
3. Add the sugar, vanilla and egg yolks and mix (you will need to use your hands towards the end to make into a ball shape!)
4. Put the dough into the fridge for 20 mins- 30 mins.
5. Use cookie cutters to make shapes with dough and put into oven (gas mark 5 for 10-12 minutes).
Christmas Cakes Recipe
(Makes 8 small cakes)
400 g mixed fruit
300g brown sugar
300g self-raising flour
2 tsp mixed spice
2 pinches of salt
Butter to grease tins and greaseproof paper
1. Put mixed fruit into a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to boil and simmer for 5 mins.
2. Drain fruit and add margarine, let it melt.
3. Beat the eggs.
4. Add beaten eggs, sugar, flour, mixed spice and salt and mix.
5. Add to greased tins (we use small Heinz baked bean tins!)
6. Put into the oven (gas mark 4 for 30 mins).